Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fela!

So I like good music, don't you? No, seriously...doesn't everyone like to chill out and listen to some really, really, good tunes? I'm not talking about some obscure 40's bluegrass band or Tibetan throat-singing which may be appealing to few (if any?)--I'm not talking about the latest Lil' Wayne joint or the same five Michael Jackson songs you hear at every party. What I'm talking about is that feel-good music that absorbs you but lets you be--something you can listen to at any time, for any occasion, and always puts a smile on your face. I should be cautious--who knows--some of you might get your jollies off from listening to the Gyuto Monks or playing "Lollipop" on repeat for hours at a time--for me I can only listen to that music so long before I go a bit nanners. Diagnosing a problem I have of shifting though genre's of music like taxi-driver through 5th avenue lanes during rush-hour, I've recently sought out the all-purpose cure for my various musical aches and pains. The prognosis, I found, was quite simple: type F-E-L-A K-U-T-I into the iTunes search thinger, press play and let him do the rest.

Fela Kuti, has, to say the least, become my life in the last week or two. His subtle melodies and upbeat approach has given me a most wonderful outlook during the crunch-time of school, jury-duty (which I'm currently serving) and the horrible weather in New York. I don't seem to be able to get bored or antsy listening to this stuff--it's infectious style has me dancing on train platforms and smiling at old women (even when they aren't to pleased to see me). It is no wonder people consider him to be the pinnacle of Afro-beat and one of the most important musicians of the 20th century--these beats have me begging for more every time I stop listening. I don't usually say this, but if you can't download any of Fela's work, go out and buy it--you won't regret it. It seems impossible to describe him--I'm certain the music needs to speak for itself, so I'll let you be the judge:

Fela Kuti - Roforofo Fight
Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit
Fela Kuti - Coffin for Head of State
Fela Kuti - Zombie

Best wishes, everyone,

Peace,

(speakeasy)

No comments: